Sunday, January 12, 2014

What Will It Take?



I've been waiting to write this blog post for awhile now. I needed to see if it was just me changing my perspective or if there was more to it than just what meets the eye. 

Our world is going crazy, or at least I think it is. I sit back and look around me at all the goings on. Everything from my immediate surroundings to the world as a whole and I wonder if we have really, finally lost it. {Our minds that it is}

I live in Canada. The province of Alberta. The city of Fort Saskatchewan. In my world, hockey is the MUST and the flu is running rampant right now. 

What has that got to do with anything you might ask? Well, it's the starting point from which my perspective begins and perhaps ends.

Let's back up. 

Have you ever had a gut instinct on something and than just went on to ignore it? Only to find out later on that you should have trusted that instinct. My perspective has changed so dramatically in the past year that I have no choice but to NOT ignore my gut instincts. I look around me and see everyone running out to hockey and that is where I will write from.

My son is the captain of his hockey team. I am proud of him for this. He deserves it, as he is a kid who works hard for his team, respects his coaches and uplifts other players. He deserves his C. He loves to play hockey and this is the reason I allow it. But I can't find the happy medium in his sport. 

When you put your child into hockey, you commit to giving up your entire life for the winter months. No joke. You give up your entire life for hockey, no questions asked. You commit to getting no sleep, running your kid off their feet, and spending tons of money on travel and equipment that is really not justifiable. 

How is this possible? Because it is the status quo here in the land of hockey. We run a rigorous schedule of weekend games and weekday practises. Often at the expense of others in the family. No one questions this. No one fights the hockey leagues or challenges the status quo. People do it for a few reasons. Some love the game itself, even when their kids hate it. Some kids love the game and so parents, such a myself, become hockey Moms and Dads by default. Some people have nothing better to do and use it as a chance to have a social life. And others are driven by the need to "keep up with the Jones", even if their kids have no interest in the sport.

We don't have hockey leagues that allow our kids to play the sport without the 1660 League governing our every move. We can't just play the game without having to run to three or four different games every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There isn't a group of kids that just plays for the fun of it, unless you include the outdoor rink fun, but if you aren't on a team, you aren't cool.

We have kids who want to play hockey, but because their parents are not in a position to either afford it or are able to give up every weekend for games and tournaments, can't play the sport and get left out.

Now, bring on the flu. It is running rampant here in Alberta. Kids are dropping like flies from it and yet, parents are still pushing their kids to get there, be present, and do it. I have to shake my head. 

Enter my very wonderful boyfriend from England. After only a few months of seeing our hockey schedule this year he said it best, "This is borderline child abuse." You know what? Hes' right. He spoke my thoughts on hockey. It is borderline child abuse. 

Now, let's enter the rest of the factors that lead me to this blog post. Our world is on the verge of destruction. Marine life is becoming extinct at an alarming rate. Our garbage and waste is becoming more then we can handle. The world population is so explosive, we can't handle anymore. And yet....we continue to travel to hockey, buy the new phone, update our apps and throw away what we don't need. Am I guilty? Yes. I am.

All of us are avoiding the fact that we need to become more conscious and aware of what really matters.

If the status quo doesn't feel right do we just keep going? Should we?

A new world perspective is dawning. People are tired. We're run down from trying to keep up. We are often pushed beyond our limits. Our minds have no essence or value anymore. We are told what to do with propaganda and we listen, we do not question because after all, it is the 21st century, we have technology what can go wrong?

My gut tells me that everything about my current situation is wrong. I am so finished with trying to do "what I am supposed to do". I am prompted to do what feels right and ignore all the naysayers because I'm putting my foot down. I've had enough.

My kids get nothing out of school. It is a drag. There is no inspiration for them anymore. And trust me, I have every right to talk about this based on experience alone. We have had several moves and I have had the pleasure of seeing how different schools operate and I have seen my kids eager and excited to go to school and come home at the end of the day with smiles and knowledge and I have seen them drag their butts out the door and feel let down, sad ,and tired at the end of the day. 

It's the same with hockey. Going because you feel guilted into it despite needing to just rest and relax before another busy week ensues. Going when you feel ill and really just need to rest and not pass your illness onto others. 

We are at the end of the status quo in my household. It has always been those who question the status quo and seek to do it differently that change the world. It is those who do not follow, but rather choose to lead  a school of thought that will find true bliss and happiness. Right now, my gut instincts are guiding me and telling me what my family needs to feel whole, complete, and happy.

And that's what this blog post is about. If you are at a point in your life where you are questioning and doing things that make you less then happy, then what are you doing?

Trust your gut instinct. It will not lead you astray. Ignore all the reasons you can't and do it for the reasons you can. 

I have a plan. It's a plan that makes my family feel complete and whole. My job as a mother is to raise responsible young people. Being responsible means that we question things. I want my family to learn to trust their instincts and then act upon it without fear. You will be judged either way, at least be judged on your own terms and not anyone elses.

I want to leave you with a video. It is a TED Talks video from a young man who is 13 years old. He questions the status quo and he shows why it's important for us to take care of ourselves. 

Click Here to watch the video.

Reclaiming our lives and our future: Click Here




Back to Top